Studying at a university in China, and applying as a transfer student to a U.S. university

Posted on:December 16, 2010

For students who apply to U.S. schools because they didn't do well in their college entrance exams, but whose family economic condition is average, blindly giving up the chance of studying in China, and focusing on preparation for the TOEFL and SAT tests is not always wise. Instead, those students are better off studying at a university in China, then transferring, because college transfer can save substantial costs.

It is much more difficult for a transfer student to get into an elite U.S. university than a freshman application. Transfer students not only need to have high school transcripts diploma, but also college transcripts, and college transfer usually requires high college GPA. Also most schools do not give scholarships to international transfer students. However, not all schools are same. Opportunities still exist. Meanwhile, college transfer involves credit transfer, so college credits evaluation is also very important. College transfer has the same TOEFL requirements as the freshman application; on the SAT requirement, most universities waive SAT for international transfer applicants. Some universities only waive SAT scores after two years' studies in college. If a student wants to go to a top university, it is wise to take the SAT test to expand the school choice.

Transfer students must be prepared to answer the consulate as to why they are not finishing their college study in China. To answer this question, you can answer it by focusing on the school environment, your own needs, and what you expect in future.